MICHI, www.michiny.com, a design driven active lifestyle brand, is currently seeking a Technical Designer in Toronto, Canada. Reporting directly to the Production Manager, the Technical Designer will support the team throughout the product development and production process.
We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated Technical Designer with strong technical abilities and garment construction knowledge to facilitate the transition of initial design concept into innovative, high quality products while achieving financial goals. This role will have a large focus on garment construction and fit, as well as factory and vendor relationships.
- Ensure impeccable and consistent garment fit among all styles.
- Lead fit sessions, construction approval, and documentation to all business partners to meet guidelines.
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of design, merchandising, and product development priorities.
- Support the development of patterns and blocks to achieve optimal and consistent fit.
- Leverage technical knowledge, solution based thinking and leadership support to troubleshoot and resolve issues that are unique in nature and may require a novel approach.
- Effectively communicate fit improvements, balance and construction details to design and production.
- Work with production to cost garments.
- Identify potential production, quality and costing issues and make recommendations to ensure brand integrity.
- Evaluate garment to determine compliance of specs, construction and fit intent.
- Track and manage workflow and workload for design team.
- Recommend raw material components and offer sourcing solutions to constantly innovate products and maintain impeccable quality.
- Create garment technical spec, fully responsible for all aspects of the complete garment spec.
- Work in partnership with design team, pattern maker, sample maker and PD Manager to ensure tech pack is complete and accurate.
- Work closely with manufacturers during sampling stage to ensure deadlines and cost constraints are followed
- Perform quality control to identify and resolve production issues
- Organize samples, patterns, fabrics, and trims while maintaining an inventory
- Maintain accurate system information
- Negotiate costing, delivery and terms with vendors
- Understand basics of PAD system so simple changes can be executed.
- Perform additional duties and assignments, as requested
- Strong garment construction knowledge and demonstrated technical ability
- Strong understanding of fit and function of garments
- Knowledge of textiles, knitwear, activewear and manufacturing is an asset
- A degree/diploma/certificate in Pattern making, Apparel Manufacturing, Design, or equivalent
- Technical Design - experience with fabric and garment construction and manufacturing processes
- Problem Solver – ability to proactively solve problems and effectively manage multiple challenges.
- Learning Agility- demonstrated curiosity, motivated to learn new skills and knowledge.
- Resourcefulness – ability to do more with less and flex as obstacles are presented.
- Computer Skill knowledge is an asset - Pattern programs: PAD, Gerber or Lectra. Additional: Adobe Illustrator
- Ability to create sketches and technical packages
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented with strong organization skills
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment
- Highly motivated and self-directed individual capable of multi-tasking, and able to work with minimal supervision and time management skills to meet deadlines
- Experience with knit garments and/ or accessories is preferred but not mandatory
- Having an aptitude for both being creative and technical is a great advantage
Please email your cover letter, resume and portfolio (if available) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please reference Job Title “Technical Designer” in the subject line of your message.