As beauty ideals evolve to include an emphasis on strength, beauty icons increasingly have, as WGSN reports of those in Japan, toned stomachs and an interest in exercise-proof makeup tips. Beauty icons and athletes alike are “embracing and experimenting with make-up colours to show women that wearing cosmetics while training can boost confidence”.
Sporting skin with layers of liquids and powders at the gym can still put you at risk of blocking pores, congesting skin and increasing the likelihood of a breakout, according to insight shared by “super-facialist” Debbie Thomas with Vogue.com. However, innovations in products are right up to speed in driving the trend in cosmetic and skincare products targeted at and favored by active women.
Makeup artist Lynsey Alexander shared with HarpersBazaar.com that, “Broadly speaking the formulas have become much more advanced and let your skin breathe rather than blocking pores”, while advising that it is still “worth opting for lighter layers, formulas that contain salicylic acid to gently exfoliate, and apply only where you need coverage”.
So, if sweating it out 100% makeup-free isn’t your thing, you can apply the right products to feel your best and save yourself from adding your dermatologist to speed dial the next a.m. Read on for our gym-bag-approved picks for maintaining a clear, hydrated complexion in and out of the gym as temperatures drop.
- Cover FX Blemish Treatment Concealer. Achieve barely-there looking coverage and hide any problem spots with this pigment loaded, redness reducing and blemish preventing concealer.
- Khiel’s Ultra Facial Cream. Apply pre- or post-workout to cleansed skin for a deep moisturizing sensation with gentle absorption for all-day facial hydration and element protection.
- Tarte Cheek Stain. Partner this vegan straight-to-cheek applicator with your get-up-and-go mentality, and wear with or without foundation to enhance your natural after-workout glow.
- BareMinerals Flawless Definition Waterproof Mascara. Pair this lengthening, strengthening, nourishing wand with the brow set for a quick-apply, smudge-free boost of confidence.
- Sephora Collection Velvet Eyeshadow. Time pressed daily grooming and beauty routines call for simple steps with strong hold, like this creamy, buildable formula to sweep on your eyelids.
- Caudalie Beauty Elixir. Spray on your skin post weightlifting and pre moisturization to tighten pores and tone all over. Pro tip from celebrity makeup artist Lisa Eldridge: Keep in your bag all day long and spray to freshen your makeup later in the day.
- MAC Pro Longwear Waterproof Brow Set. This long-wearing, flake-proof, non-clumping, sweat-resistant formula is an essential for the beginner and the pro makeup minimalist.
- Clinique Chubby Stick. Define and moisturize lips in one step with this soft lip color balm offered in 10 shades. Bonus: no mirror required and on the go application approved!
Add these products into your gym bag and take on the hyper-real radiance of fresh skin trending for Autumn/Winter 2016 and determine if glowing skin and a little gloss is a major motivator to go the extra mile for you.